Presbyopia is an eye condition that affects a person's ability to see or focus on objects or writing that is close to the person. This condition typically affects people as they age. Generally, this problem begins occurring in adults between the ages of forty and fifty years old, but can also affect younger people, depending on the situation.
While the exact cause of presbyopia is not known, many eye doctors believe it is due to a loss of elasticity in the eye's crystalline lens. Some of the symptoms of this problem include difficulty seeing in dimmer or low light, having a hard time reading fine print or focusing on smaller objects, and losing the ability to focus on smaller objects.
There are some options available for people who are dealing with this particular condition. Presbyopia surgery is possible, and through LASIK laser eye surgery, the problem can be corrected. This procedure is designed to reshape the cornea, so the patient can see smaller objects and read fine print.
A method called PresbyLASIK has been specially developed to assist patients with this particular problem. The procedure is usually performed in less than an hour, and patients can get the procedure done on an outpatient basis. Most patients are able regain better vision with 24-48 hours after surgery. It is important that people considering presbyopia surgery consult with their eye doctor before making a final decision.
For more information about presbyopia and presbyopia surgery, please refer to the following websites:
- Presbyopia Causes & Symptoms – A list of common problems and symptoms associated with presbyopia.
- Basic Presbyopia Information – Some good basic information about presbyopia.
- All About Presbyopia– What is presbyopia? Find out more here, includes causes, exams, treatment, and prevention information.
- Eye Disorders Video – Watch this video from the CDC that discusses common eye refractive errors.
- Presbyopia Causes, Risks, Treatment and More – A run-down on symptoms and treatment options for presbyopia.
- LASIK –More information about LASIK laser surgery.
- Clear Lens Extraction – An explanation of another option for correcting presbyopia.
- Is LASIK Eye Surgery Right for You? – Some things to consider if laser surgery is right for you.
- Presbyopia Eye Surgery Options – More information about various eye surgery options.
- Presbyopia Treatment – This site contains information about varying forms of treatment for presbyopia.
- Types of Presbyopia Surgery – Some helpful insight about different types of presbyopia surgery.
- Presbyopia – General information about presbyopia from the American Optometric Association.
- Presbyopia Diagnosis – This page contains specifications on diagnosing presbyopia.
- Presbyopia Correction with Lenses – Overview of multifocal intraocular lenses.
- Problem and Correction – An overview of the problem known as presbyopia, as well as options for correction.
- Middle Age & Presbyopia – This article discusses dealing with middle age and presbyopia.
- Cornea Disorders: Presbyopia – More about the cornea disorder known as presbyopia.
- Treatment Expectations – Some treatment options and what patients can expect from them.
- Vision Disorders – This page explains several different types of vision disorders.